“Food 4 Thought” is a collaboration between Boeckman Creek Elementary School, Wilsonville Community Sharing, and Community of Hope focusing on addressing child hunger in our community. Participating students, who are food insecure, are given a weekend food pack discretely each week during the school year that provide simple and healthy meal items, snacks and drinks to supplement that child’s available weekend food. We have over 10 families participating in receiving food each week.
The facts below show our community has a need which we are motivated to help in filling:
- 15% of families / children in Wilsonville are food insecure
- Students who have access to regular and healthy meals:
- achieve 17.5% higher scores on standardized math tests
- attend 1.5 more days of school per year
- and are 20% more likely to graduate from high school