NEW Adult Bible class with Pastor Gary Blumanthal: Starting Sunday, September 17 through October 22, 2023 at 9 am
Growing/Maturing in the Fruit of the Spirit
“But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.” (Galatians 5:22-23)
These words are not a list of virtues or performances to achieve. They are about our inner character, beautiful qualities that the Holy Spirit will nurture in our every day, ordinary human life because God himself is at work within us. It is the Holy Spirit that cultivates within us a Christ like character because the Fruit of the Spirit is God’s expectation for our lives. If we are not to be governed by either the law or flesh, then what should govern how we are to live? The Spirit! Paul lays it out clearly: “Walk by the Spirit…led by the Spirit…live by the Spirit…keep in step with the Spirit” (Gal. 5:16-25). That is the heart and essential of what it means to be a person in Christ, one who abides in Christ.
For 6 weeks on Sunday morning beginning September 17 at 9 am, in our adult Bible class, we will examine in detail the meaning of these nine-character qualities of the Fruit of the Spirit and how we can better live ‘fruitful’ lives with a Christ-like character.
Fruit of the Spirit Class Outline
- Gifts of the Spirit verses Fruit of the Spirit
- How does the Holy Spirit cultivate within us the Fruit of the Spirit? Jesus said, “Abide in me” John 15:1-9
September 24: The fruit of the Spirit: Love, Joy
- Love is to be the distinctive character of a Christian.
- Joy is the inner calm, inner gladness that comes from trusting God. Philippians 4:4
October 1: Fruit of the Spirit: Peace, Patience
- The peace of God that reigns/resides in our hearts is always preceded by peace with God.
- Patience: a person’s enduring steadfastness under provocation/hardships.
October 8: Fruit of the Spirit: Kindness, Goodness
- When we exhibit the kindness of God in every action and in every word then it will have the flavor of grace in it.
- Goodness is love in action without expecting a reward.
October 13: Fruit of the Spirit: Faithfulness, Gentleness
- Faithfulness is leaning on the grace of God and carrying out the responsibilities God has given us.
- Gentleness is the quiet strength that displays a sensitive regard/compassion for others.
October 22: Fruit of the Spirit: Self-control
- With the help of the Holy Spirit self-control is the mastery of having control over one’s thoughts and behaviors and the impulses and emotions beneath it.
Community of Hope has periodic adult Bible classes! You can watch replays of some of them on YouTube below.
- Click HERE to watch the replays of the Spring 2022 class “How to Share Your Faith”
- Click HERE to watch the replays of the Fall 2022 class “Basic Lutheran Beliefs”
- Click HERE to watch the replays of the Winter 2023 class “The Miracles in the Gospel of John”
- Click HERE to watch the replays of the Spring 2023 class about the Holy Spirit